Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Phoenix + Chihuly: Winning Combination



Photo by D.R. Ransdell


One of the best places to visit in the U.S. right now is just up the road from me. The Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix is hosting "Chihuly in the Garden" until May 18th.
Photo by D.R. Ransdell
The garden hosted a Chihuly event about five years ago, and I had the chance to visit it as well. I loved every minute--seeing all the beautiful, colored glass amidst the plants was a thrilling experience. When I learned that the garden was hosting another exhibit, I wanted to be sure to attend.

Photo by D.R. Ransdell

 But I expected this new exhibit to be a copy of the old one. This didn't bother me--I would have been happy to have enjoyed the same experience.

To my surprise and delight, almost everything was different. One arrangement might have been the same. Everything else was fresh--and in my opinion, wonderful.









Photo by D.R. Ransdell
I can't explain why I love the Chihuly glass pieces so much. They're unusual, they're fresh, they're colorful, they're exciting.

They're funny.

It's so odd to see glass with plants and yet, the arrangements are so cleverly constructed that they fit right in.

They're amazing.




Photo by D.R. Ransdell





I wasn't the only one who thought so. Granted, my friends and I visited the garden on a Saturday, so it's only fitting that there was a crowd, but I was actually thrilled to see so much interest in this work. There was an amazing array of visitors from all age groups speaking all kinds of languages.


Photo by D.R. Ransdell


There was even a young girl who put her hand on one of the glass bulbs! I wanted to cry out, because her mother wasn't paying any attention to her, but luckily!!!!! nothing broke.

Dale Chihuly and his team would probably have been pleased. They want their art to be for everyone. (However, perhaps there is a limit!)

Moral of the story: If you're close to Phoenix, you should visit this lovely garden. You can reserve a time for 8-12, noon-4, or 4-8 p.m.








Photo by D.R. Ransdell

No comments:

Post a Comment