Friday, January 30, 2009

Roman Holiday


This week I reviewed William Wyler's classic film "Roman Holiday." I assumed I'd seen the film years ago because I recognized the still on the DVD cover showing Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn on a motor scooter. To my surprise and delight, I hadn't seen the whole film. Eddie Albert is wonderful as Peck's confidante and photographer!

The film was shot on location, which was unusual at that time. It's amazing to see the Colosseum and the Spanish Steps with only a few tourists around! The sweet comedy shows how the magic of Rome can contribute to the memories of a lifetime. Thank goodness most of us who visit Rome have the luxury of enjoying the city for more than 24 hours! But we can trace the actors' steps and relish in the fact that fifty years later, the monuments shown in the film still earmark any trip to Italy's "eternal city."

No comments:

Post a Comment